During the late 1880s, the church's original members began having a picnic. Basket lunches with donated cakes and pies were the standard fare. Eventually, the soup was added. One of the earliest known newspaper announcements is from an 1899 Gazette, which stated, "On Saturday, September 23, afternoon and evening, St Paul's Chapel Church will hold a picnic. The Dallastown Orchestra will furnish the music. Rev. Rhodes and Mr. Derr, from York, will speak".
As you can see, the picnic has been happening for over 100 years and remains the same - outreach, service, and fellowship. In 2019 the COVID pandemic took a toll on the picnic, and it could not be held thru 2021. In 2022, the Picnic Task Force reimaged the picnic, now called Chapel SummerFest.
We are so excited to share this fun day with you! So stop in, take a look at what's planned, and post some pictures to social media, but don't forget to use #ChapelSummerFest!
- Date: Last Saturday in July
- Time: 12 PM to 6 PM
- Location: Chapel Church - 3050 Cape Horn Road, Red Lion, PA 17356
What To Expect
- Food: Chapel Kitchen will be open with Picnic fare, Ice Cream, and Bake Sale
- Games & Activities: Music, devotion, fellowship, caricature, photo booth, face painting, penny scramble, corn hole, ladder golf, kickball, Gaga ball, and many other games and activities.
- Shopping: Chapel Crafters with their Bazaar Stand featuring homemade crafts, gifts, etc.
- Well-known Products: There may be some Chow Chow, Soup for sale during the event.
|12:00 PM - 12:30 PM||Welcome and Devotion|
|12:30 PM - 2:30 PM||Traditional\Seasoned Band|
|2:30 PM - 3:30 PM||Activities|
|3:30 PM - 5:30 PM||Middle Aged Band|
|5:30 PM - 6:00 PM||Closing|
This year's dates and details are available in the Events Calendar and highlighted on the last Saturday in July.